Safeguarding Children and Adults

What can I do if I Suspect a Child is Being Abused

As a concerned member of the public, your referral will be treated in the strictest confidence. If you suspect for any reason, that a child is not being treated correctly, please contact the following numbers:

  • The Police: 999
  • Children’s Services (including out of hours): 0300 123 4043
  • The Child Abuse Investigation Unit: 0845 33 00 222

If You Have Concerns That a Vulnerable Adult is Being Abused

  • Call Adult Care Services (including out of hours): 0300 123 4042
  • If there is a danger to life, a risk of injury or a crime is taking place, call the Police by dialing 999
  • If the vulnerable adult is living in a registered care home or receiving domiciliary (home) care services, you can contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC) on 03000 616 161

Let a public service professional, such as a social worker, community nurse, GP, probation officer or district nurse know your concerns. They have responsibilities under the county’s adult protection procedure and can advise you about what to do next.

If you think you are being abused, call Barnet Domestic Violence service as soon as possible: 0208 733 4113 or email on [email protected]